[Asterisk-Users] some success with linux 2.6 and wcfxo

Tristan 'Minty' Colgate minty at deadweb.net
Sat Dec 6 16:14:40 MST 2003

Hi,

  My apologies for those on the channel who may take offense to this, atleast
the ones to whom it was not aimed, but the fact is that after making a simple
enquiry on the IRC channel I was in absolute shock...

  I asked one simple question, are there any known issues with the zaptel
modules on 2.6, was given some very sensible advice to upgrade my mod utils,
which I did. I asked if anyone had any other ideas, at which point things got
pretty abusive.

  Now the point is that without evening establishing if I was just wasting time
hassling developers into fixing my "problems" for me (I've been on the end of
enough of that recently to know how annoying it is), I was being excluded from
evening helping out. That is rather an odd attitude for advocates of an open
source project to express.

  I've been following asterisk developement for a long time, and playing with
it at home. Recently I have been able to deploy it in a commerial VoIP (SIP)
services that I have developed for a client. I am consequently therefore
exteremely greatful to *, and cosider it not just a duty, but also an honour to
be able to give something back.

  In 6 years of writing and contributing to Free Software project, I have
simply never come across the attitude that I met on that channel. And
regardless of the rights or wrongs of it, it is the phrase "#asterisk" I am
always going to remember for it, not the specific people involved.

  By all means dismiss me as an arrogant arse, a prima donna, or whatever else
you care to think of. I meant nothing more by that statement than good old
fashioned sarcasm.

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 02:11:52PM -0500, Brian Capouch wrote:
> Tristan 'Minty' Colgate wrote:
>

> >  I'd like to thank everyone on #asterisk for all the support they gave to
> >fellow linux enthusiast... absoutely none.
> >

> That was really a nice post until right at the end here.
>
> I hope you understand that cheap shots like this just make *you* look
> like an asshole, and provide plenty of evidence for everyone reading
> that we're dealing with a prima donna.
>
> AFAIK everyone involved in improving asterisk is plenty busy. You did
> the right thing--charging forth into the problem space to see what you
> could accomplish--but then you spoiled it at the end by whining at the
> rest of us for not helping you.
>
> B.

Tristan 'Minty' Colgate
<minty at deadweb.net> | ICQ #154577755