[Asterisk-Users] Port density: DS3 cards?

Bob Knight bk at minusw.com
Fri Dec 5 12:04:28 MST 2003

Greg Boehnlein wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Bob Knight wrote:
>

>>Steve Dolloff wrote:
>>

>>>I would be seriously wary of putting a DS3's worth of voice traffic on a
>>>TNT.  I don't believe they are rated to handle that much voice.  The
>>>APX1000 would be a much better platform, but I don't know if you can
>>>find one used.
>>>

>>Skip the TNT's.  They are really a joke.
>>I will admit, I am a bitter X-Livingston employee.
>>First Lucent bought us for our cool gear, then they bought
>>Ascend for sales and marketing......
>>I still can't believe they kept the TNT alive and killed PM4.
>>

>The PM3 LIVES ON DUDE! :) I'm all about Livingson, and have refused to put
>the Asscend stuff in my data center. Seriously, Jake over at
>portmasters.com is doing some good stuff with the PM3. Now that we've got
>control of ComOS, it is just a matter of time before new ComOS releases
>start coming out for the unit. Several people have already rolled their
>own and added a few niggling fixes to the 3.9.1c1 code branch.
>
>It would be great if we could find a way to use the PM3 as an inbound
>channel bank for Asterisk though. I have like 7 of them sitting in the
>back doing nothing..

I like that idea.
I wrote all the drivers for the PM3 and it would fairly easy to do.
Looking at the prices on portmasters.com, you could have a 2 t1 inbound
channel bank for about $350.  Add another $150 for an extra t1.
I think we used the same Dallas framers that Digium uses.

I am a very big * fan and I am feeling a little guilty that I am using
an ethernet
only solution.  No Digium cards.  I would really like to support Digium, but
I do not want to start pluggin any PCI cards into the box other than an
extra
ethernet or 2.  I would love to see Digium come out with a t1/e1 to ethernet
channel bank.  Compared to when we made the PM3 there are some way cool
processors with built in TDM and ethernet.

Yo Digium,  I am hanging out here in CA with nothing better to do than play
with *.  Why don't you contract out and let me and a few of my unemployed
friends build a little channel bank for you.

--
Bob Knight
[-w] the work option
bk at minusw.com