[Asterisk-Users] x100p/hangup detection issues? - SOLVED!

Patrick Cantwell pat at insomnia.org
Thu Dec 4 23:45:57 MST 2003

OK everybody, I have solved my problem!

The issue lies in how you handle the incoming call. I actually stumbled
across this while trying to find a better way of doing fax autodetection.
The trick is you *must* use Answer to pick up the call.  The *WRONG* way of
doing things is:

exten => s/,1,Zapateller
exten => s,1,NoOp
exten => s,2,PrivacyManager
exten => s,3,Goto(100,1)                        ; proceed to home phone
rules
exten => s,103,Hangup()                         ; In case caller doesn't
supply info correctly, hangup

(of course omit the zapateller/privacymanager stuff if you're not using it)

The *CORRECT* way of doing things is:

exten => s/,1,Zapateller                           ; if CID is not present,
send telemarketer blast down the line
exten => s,1,NoOp                                 ; if it is, don't do
anything :)
exten => s,2,PrivacyManager                  ; check for CID.  If not
present, prompt caller for their number.
exten => s,3,Answer                               ; pick up the call. this
allows asterisk/x100p to correctly detect phone company signalling!
exten => s,4,Ringing                                ; generate some ringing
for the calling party
exten => s,5,Goto(100,1)                        ; proceed to home phone
rules
exten => s,103,Hangup()                         ; In case caller doesn't
supply info correctly, hangup

Note the rules 3 and 4, Answer and Ringing -- they do what you'd expect.
Answer takes the call from the PSTN and Ringing makes asterisk generate a
ringing tone while it handles the call internally.  This allows it to a) let
callers know the call is still in progress, and b) allows the fax rule to
pick up a fax machine during ringing!  I couldn't find this documented
anywhere, or I would have implemented it this way from the get-go.  Hope
this helps someone else! (Let me know if it does!)  Maybe this should be on
the wiki too? :)

Thanks,
Pat