[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Avaya IP phones

Dan Tucny dan at tucny.com
Thu Dec 4 18:18:11 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 23:02, Ed Rubright wrote:
> The company I work for has deployed an Avaya IP phone system.  They
> have deployed the Avaya 4602 and 4620 IP telephones.  They might be
> sending me one of these phones for use in my home office.
>
> Question: Can I make this IP telephone register and work with my
> Asterisk server?  I don't know if it is a SIP phone?  I searched thru
> the Avaya site, but can't find whether it’s a SIP phone or not.
> Thought maybe someone on this list would know.

It's not SIP, currently, well over a year ago Avaya demonstrated SIP
functionality in both the phones and in their Multivantage PBX software.
This has not been released, apparently due to lack of business demand...
I've tried making one work as is with asterisk and a number of other
h323 products, however, I've not yet had any success... Avaya seem to
have really filled these with lots of proprietary hacks...

> Question: Would I be able to register my Asterisk server or an
> individual SIP phone (Cisco 7960 or Polycom IP600) with the Avaya
> server these 46xx IP telephones use?  I don't know what model of the
> Avaya server the company has purchased, so I have limited info here.

You would not be able to get a SIP phone talking to the Avaya PBX for
the reasons mentioned above... You could possibly get an h323 trunk
between the * and the Avaya PBX, but, I have not tried this yet so this
too may not work... Also, something worth mentioning, the number of IP
trunks you can have is limited by the number the Avaya PBX is licenced
to use... If your company is not currently using trunks, there may not
be any trunks available to use...

Not a lot of good news there, but I hope it's helpful to you...

Dan