[Asterisk-Users] Port density: DS3 cards?

Ernest W. Lessenger ernest at oacys.com
Thu Dec 4 15:53:00 MST 2003

Correcting an idiot-math error (24/4 != 8 and 1000*3 != 1000) ...

At 02:34 PM 12/4/2003, you wrote:
>However, considering the traffic volumes that you are talking about, is it
>really true to say that the traditional telco cards are astronomically
>priced, given the amount of revenue that can be generated per month on a
>DS3?

Six quad-span T-1 cards from Digium: $8,970
Three reasonable-quality asterisk servers: $3,000
One T-1/DS-3 MUX: $5000

Total system cost: $16,970

That actually sounds quite reasonable to me. However, if I were doing this
myself I would look hard at getting a MAX TNT with VoIP capability off
eBay. The price would be equivalent or less, the interface would be more
complicated, but all the DSP would be done by the MAX.

--Ernest