[Asterisk-Users] IAX port numbers?

Alastair Maw asterisk at almaw.com
Tue Dec 2 11:10:44 MST 2003

On 02/12/03 16:32, Matt Lawson wrote:
> I see that when an Asterisk connects to another one via IAX, it seems to
> use port 4569 for the first one.  But if it has multiple IAX connections
> the additional ports seem to be chosen at random.
>
> Is there anyway to predict, or specify which ports or range of ports to
> use, for the sake of setting up a firewall?  Thanks.

Asterisk binds to port 4569 to listen for IAX2 packets. It should send
from that same socket on port 4569, whether it's sending to a single
machine or many. If it's sending from random ports, that means Asterisk
can't bind to port 4569 initially. You should see this in your logs.

Are you sure you're not trying to run multiple asterisks on one machine?

Alastair