[Asterisk-Users] Video conference apps/appliances?

wasim at convergence.com.pk wasim at convergence.com.pk
Wed Aug 27 18:03:28 MST 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, John Todd wrote:

> So, I keep seeing references in the codebase to "video conference"
> uses for Asterisk.  However, I am unaware of what end devices are
> currently supported by Asterisk.
>
> Searching through the archives for the term "video", I see a few
> other people have asked the same question, with no real reply.
> Nobody, it seems, has actually tested any video phones on Asterisk
> other than perhaps the folks at Digium.  If I am mistaken in this
> assertion, please reply to this note with a URL for the equipment or
> software you're using that is commercially available.
>
> Messenger XP?  Anyone have instructions? (sorry, I don't have Windows
> at my location, so I can't test.)
>
> The 8x8 DV325 phone?  There is no price or "buy this now" button on
> their site, which points me towards the trail of vaporware.
>
> Others?

John, I do remember getting gnophone up and running with a webcam using a
standard kernel module ov511, but that was back in elden days and may not
hold true anymore. It did also send the picture through to the farend
gnophone. As far as hardware is concerned, I'd say anything that's
supported by video4linux should be passable through. Ofcourse, this was
with IAX and format_jpeg.so

--
wasim learns to bottom-post