[Asterisk-Users] SIP vs SCCP vs XML

Jamie Carl geek at jazz-inc.net
Mon Aug 25 16:07:49 MST 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:45:22 -0400
  "Ray Burkholder" <ray at oneunified.net> wrote:
>*This message was transferred with a trial version of
>CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
>

>> No, this is not the case currently with any of the Cisco
>>SIP software
>> loads that I am aware of.  If you find this to be
>>incorrect, please
>> let the list know.  Cisco has not deployed much of the
>>featureset in
>> their SCCP phones (such as paging/intercom) into the SIP
>>phones due
>> to lack of standards/interest/political capital.
>>
>> JT
>

>Ok, after further research in the 7960 administrators
>guide for SIP 5.1
>(current is 5.3 and probably not changed much), they do
>state that
>support is not provided for CiscoIPPhoneExecute in the
>current SIP load,
>which is needed to make streaming channel 1 work.
> Bummer.
>
>So, in looking around at HotDispatch.com, I see a number
>of companies
>charging outrageous dollars for their own SCCP versions
>of a softphone.
>
>Also, a while back, for $1000, a person could join
>Cisco's developer
>program and gain access to SCCP docs.  Perhaps an
>Asterisk group member
>has the funds available to attempt joining?  Then we
>could finish up on
>some of the aborted attempts at SCCP integration, if the
>license
>agreement allows this sort of development.
>
>Perhaps, through a little creativity, it might be
>possible to use a SCCP
>796x phone and not worry about SCCP.  With XML, screens
>could be
>programmed to send responses back to *.  Then * could
>drive streaming
>channel 1 directly and simulate the phone call.  So, on a
>SCCP phone,
>you don't use SCCP, nor SIP.  You use XML.  Would that
>work?  Hopefully
>soft button presses don't interfere with the streaming
>media.
>
>Oh, and if it does work, then you can use multicasting to
>intercom a
>number of phones simultaneously.
>
>The thing I miss on SIP phones that was available on the
>Callmanager
>version of 796x, is the ability to go off hook, dial some
>numbers, and
>callmanager automatically dials the call.  The SIP
>version requires you
>to go off hook, dial the digits, then press dial.  Any
>way around this
>for 4, 7, 10 or 11 digit dialling?

Good question..   Does * support overlap dialing with SIP?

I have a feeling it does, I do vaguely remember getting an
Address Incomplete response when not dialing enough
digits.  I guess all you have to do is set your cisco
phone for overlap dialing.  Hopefully there is an option
for it in is config.

Regards,

Jamie Carl
Jazz Inc.