[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream Budgetone Defective Units

Steve Haehnichen s-asterisk at trix.com
Fri Aug 22 20:18:09 MST 2003

-=> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 06:49:53 +0000, "WipeOut ." <wipeout at linuxmail.org> said:

> The remote NTP problem is fixed in the current beta firmware that I
> have been testing for GS.. Hopefully it will be released soon..

I'm going 'round and 'round with the GS support guys.  I've tried
three beta versions of the firmware and still don't have a fix for
what appears to be a serious problem.

If I use a DNS server inside my LAN (within the subnet) while my
router is not at that same address, the phones crash at boot time.  In
other cases, they will ARP crazy things, like remote servers or
0.0.0.0.  I could be wrong about the specifics, but there seems to be
certain sets of network addresses that they handle poorly.

I've sent them a number of packet traces and some repeatable
scenarios, but each firmware update seems to fix one and break others.
At this point, I don't have a lot of confidence in their TCP/IP stack.

That said, none of the three units (or their power supplies) have
failed on me. :)

For best results, make sure the DHCP server and Router are the same
machine, and that the DNS server is outside your subnet.

-Steve