[Asterisk-Users] RTP header compression?

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Fri Aug 22 17:58:48 MST 2003

cRTP (compressed RTP, and its official acronym has a small 'c') is done
at the router level, so it's transparent to the user agent. AFAIK,
there's no open implementation of cRTP. Cisco switches support it.
Another approach is ROHC (Robust Header Compression), it works on all IP
packets. This one is more promising, it's also the standard for 3G
phones. ROHC can be implemented at end-points like the 3G phones, not
just routers. There's a Linux ROHC implementation for improving
throughput on slow links like PPP. See http://rohc.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.