[Asterisk-Users] VoIP dialtone?

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Thu Aug 21 07:19:22 MST 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, John Todd wrote:

> 1) 911 service.  Yes, that is one of three reasons to keep your PSTN
> line.  The other two reasons are:   Inbound calls from local callers
> still should work on a POTS line, for now.  You can't find VOIP
> providers in most area codes

Packet8 looks like it has locals in 47 of the "lower 48" with local access
coming to Hawaii at some point in the near future. I checked - in some
states like Ohio they only hit the big cities - on the other hand, out
here in California I can even get a number local to my house because they
have Victorville exchanges (and while there is a relatively large
population here, we're still mostly rural and we are in the middle of the
Mojave Desert :)

> trivially: there _must_ be a database of address-to-PSAP mappings.
> Any PBX administrator (or SIP phone owner, for that matter) should be
> able to figure out their address.  Methods for associating the PSAP
> number with the phone are numerous, and trivially implemented

Yeahbut what if I am connected to my VOIP account from my house, and then
I go on vacation and take my phone with me?

I don't think the 911 obstacle is impossible to overcome, but there are
some issues that still need to be addressed.

--
JustThe.net Internet & Multimedia Services
22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950