[Asterisk-Users] Is Asterisk ready for "real" use?

Mike Ciholas mikec at ciholas.com
Wed Aug 20 13:01:24 MST 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Scott Lambert wrote:

> RJ11 plugs work in RJ45 jacks most of the time.

Yuck!  I was told, and I have verified, that when RJ11 goes into
RJ45, it overbends pin 1 and 8 contact wires so they don't
"relax" back to their original form.  This happens because there
is no "slot" in an RJ11 connector for those contacts, so the
plastic bends those wires much more than the others.  This causes
loss of contact pressure when a real RJ45 plug is inserted.  You
can tell when this happens by looking at an empty RJ45 socket.
If pins 1 and 8 don't line up with the others, someone has
plugged in an RJ11 into it.

Sounds like a way to have flakey RJ45 jacks all over the place,
and ethernet does use pin 1!

This must be a FAQ somewhere...

--
Mike Ciholas                            (812) 476-2721 voice
CIHOLAS Enterprises                     (812) 476-2881 fax
2626 Kotter Ave, Unit D                 mikec at ciholas.com
Evansville, IN 47715                    http://www.ciholas.com