[Asterisk-Users] Call transfer ATA186

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Aug 19 00:45:18 MST 2003

At 12:07 AM -0700 8/19/03, John Todd wrote:
>At 1:42 AM -0500 8/19/03, Brian Capouch wrote:
>>CW_ASN wrote:
>>>I use 3Party using flash key and dialing the extension. When the other ATA
>>>answer the call, I press flash again.
>>>I test Call Transfer using # key (#ext#). If you know another way to do
>>>that, please let me know.
>>>
>>I'm tearing my hair out trying to exercise a variation on this
>>theme. I'm mad from trying, so there may be some reaaaaaly easy
>>thing that is escaping me here.
>>
>>What I want to do is answer a call, put the caller on hold, dial up
>>another extension and speak briefly with the person who answers
>>(e.g. "I have Mr. Faltzernaust on the line") and then bow out and
>>leave the caller and the callee to talk.
>>
>>When I try the 3party the whole thing goes to s**t when I hang up,
>>and in a transfer I don't get that opportunity to announce the
>>caller.
>>
>>Is there an easy way to do what I want to do here?
>>
>>Thx.
>>
>>B.
>

>If it's any solace to you, there is no way I know of that one can do
>supervised call transfer (what you describe above) on an ATA-186.
>The "#" key trick (appending a "t" on your Dial statements) allows
>you to transfer, but it's an unsupervised transfer.  That trickery
>is done 100% in Asterisk, so you may be able to hack the source code
>to get it working with some different technique.
>
>The workaround is:
>
>  - call party #1, establish call
>  - hit flash, dial new number, hit # (the # is locally interpreted
>by the ATA as "finished dialing" character)
>  - talk to the third party; tell them a call is about to come in.
>  - have the third party hang up
>  - hit flash again, bringing you back to party #1
>  - hit "#" and type in the number of third party, type "#" (this
>time, interpreted by Asterisk as "finished dialing" character)
>  - hang up
>
>Sucks, doesn't it?
>
>JT

Duh.  I shouldn't work so late.  All this time I had simply been
forgetting to hang up on people.  :)  I suppose this makes sense;
it's half of a three-way call, except after you talk to the third
party, you just hang up.  The ATA then redials the third party and
connects the two together.  The RTP stream no longer goes through the
ATA after the redial, if you're curious.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/gatecont/ps514/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080150e5a.html#1015900

JT