[Asterisk-Users] Call transfer ATA186

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Aug 19 00:07:08 MST 2003

At 1:42 AM -0500 8/19/03, Brian Capouch wrote:
>From: Brian Capouch <brianc at palaver.net>
>To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
>Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Call transfer ATA186
>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:42:53 -0500
>
>CW_ASN wrote:
>>I use 3Party using flash key and dialing the extension. When the other ATA
>>answer the call, I press flash again.
>>I test Call Transfer using # key (#ext#). If you know another way to do
>>that, please let me know.
>>

>I'm tearing my hair out trying to exercise a variation on this
>theme. I'm mad from trying, so there may be some reaaaaaly easy
>thing that is escaping me here.
>
>What I want to do is answer a call, put the caller on hold, dial up
>another extension and speak briefly with the person who answers
>(e.g. "I have Mr. Faltzernaust on the line") and then bow out and
>leave the caller and the callee to talk.
>
>When I try the 3party the whole thing goes to s**t when I hang up,
>and in a transfer I don't get that opportunity to announce the
>caller.
>
>Is there an easy way to do what I want to do here?
>
>Thx.
>
>B.

If it's any solace to you, there is no way I know of that one can do
supervised call transfer (what you describe above) on an ATA-186.
The "#" key trick (appending a "t" on your Dial statements) allows
you to transfer, but it's an unsupervised transfer.  That trickery is
done 100% in Asterisk, so you may be able to hack the source code to
get it working with some different technique.

The workaround is:

  - call party #1, establish call
  - hit flash, dial new number, hit # (the # is locally interpreted by
the ATA as "finished dialing" character)
  - talk to the third party; tell them a call is about to come in.
  - have the third party hang up
  - hit flash again, bringing you back to party #1
  - hit "#" and type in the number of third party, type "#" (this
time, interpreted by Asterisk as "finished dialing" character)
  - hang up

Sucks, doesn't it?

JT