[Asterisk-Users] LAN switches with PoE? PoE phones?

John Brown jmbrown at chagresventures.com
Sun Aug 17 10:52:00 MST 2003

Hi Mike,

Cisco makes PoE switches, either at the Cat 29xx or
the Cat 35xx levels.  The 29xx don't have gige uplinks, but
the 35xx's do via GBIC interfaces.  Meaning you will also need
to get a GBIC media converter depending the media type (copper
fiber, etc)

And of course Cisco makes PoE based phones 7940 7960
which work well with *

Grandstream currently requires a wall-wart, but later
models are suppose to use PoE as well.

I'd personally put the phones on their own subnet so that
ACL filtering at the router will be easier, static IP alloc
will be easier.

hope this helps

john brown
chagres technologies, inc