[Asterisk-Users] Extension and phone management bestpractices??

Devon Henderson devon at calltrex.com
Fri Aug 15 15:40:58 MST 2003

> > I guess my big question is: is it possible to have extensions mapped to
> > people, not to phones?
>
> Yes, you just need to link the user/extension to a technology/channel
> when logged in, and to a bogus value when not so that your dial will
> fail quickly and fall through to voicemail. Also you will want to make
> sure your voicemail goes out in email since you won't be able to get
> stutter tone or MWI due to the channel not being assigned a extension.
> --
> Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>

Sorry I waited so long to reply to this.. I had to think about it a bit.

Every reply I've had to this question has involved voicemail somehow.  We
don't use voicemail in the office - we have live operators handling all
incoming calls, 24 hours a day.  No voicemail.  No IVRs.  No auto attendant.

So, another stupid question.. instead of failing over to voicemail, could it
fail to a queue instead?

- Devon