[Asterisk-Users] Extension and phone management best practices??

WipeOut . wipeout at linuxmail.org
Wed Aug 13 04:57:53 MST 2003

Hi,

I am trying to think of the best way to manage the phone to extension to user relationships in an Asterisk system so I am asking for any input on best practices from thos out there who are running live systems.. the bigger the better...

It seems the common practice is to name the config for a phone by its extension number.. So extension 1234 would have its sip.conf entries under [1234].. While this seems to work it does mean you are staying with a traditional model where extension is staticly mapped to the phone and the uesr is the variable.. It would appear to me a better solution to map extension to user and make the phone the variable.. Obvoiusly this has its issues as well, namely a slightly more complicated extensions.conf and I may be missing a better solution to this management all together.. So I am asking for input from the community..

What have you found to be the best option?

Thanks..