[Asterisk-Users] Open G.729A codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Aug 12 19:22:20 MST 2003

Hi Matthew,

That argument doesn't seem to work. I don't hear many complaints here
about the cost of the VoiceAge codec. It's the clunkiness of the
protection scheme people don't like. It's only the protection scheme
that seems to be making people want to dump the VoiceAge code.

Remember how Microsoft got to be so big? Most successful packages, like
123, had clunky copy protection that hurt the genuine customers far more
than the pirates. Microsoft's applications business was getting nowhere
at that time. Then Microsoft make a big announcement that they would not
use such clunky protection schemes on Word or Excel, and their
applications sales have never looked back.

Inconveniencing the genuine customers is a proven loser. Perhaps the
music industry will learn this soon.

Regards,
Steve