[Asterisk-Users] Fair comparison

James Sizemore james at deny.org
Tue Aug 12 11:41:14 MST 2003

Big issues for sip:  (Please note I use both Asterisk and Vocal between
the two you can have a fairly scalable sip environment with a fair
amount of call features.)

Pluses for Vocal:
For sip switching Vocal is much more scalable, You can have a cluster of
UserAgents and Gateways. It never terminates rtp streams so  Vocal can
not easily be over run with
calls. But vocal is mostly just a voip call switch. (Like SER)
Negatives for Vocal:
Has Zero usable call features, It can route sip calls all day no
problem, Don't even try to have it do call features everyone of them has
some problem or another.

Asterisk pluses: It has call features, Not always implemented the best
way but has them in boat loads!  Asterisk is an ok switch for sip calls,
but you can never have more then one box doing the job.

Asterisk Negatives:  It crashes. (It is development code) It terminates
every sip call that goes through it so can only scale to the point of
the boxes ability to excepts the rtp streams. (You can do some
clustering of dial plans but this does not help with incoming sip
registration and call paths IE your call drops if your box reboots)

You may also want to through SER in your list of systems to evaluate.