[Asterisk-Users] OT: Grandstream power supplies..

Dave Cotton dcotton at linuxautrement.com
Tue Aug 12 06:12:33 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 14:41, Brenton D. Rothchild wrote:

> The only thing I would stress is that if your phone is malfunctioning and
> drawing
> more current than the previous 400mA adapter could source (hence the failure
> of
> the previous adaptor), this larger current adaptor would allow the phone to
> draw
> even _more_ current, probably releasing some of the magic smoke inside the
> electronics
> (which is what makes ICs work, right? :)

Totally off topic. I have actually seen the magic smoke and survived.

I was at a client with problems with a 3Com 4 port hub and had a 4 port
NoName switch with me. So I removed the 3Com (18v), connected the switch
(9v) and plugged in the power supply, from the other side of the office
I smelt something strange. The surprising thing is that that switch is
still functioning in my network a year later even though it sings a bit.
--
Dave Cotton <dcotton at linuxautrement.com>