[Asterisk-Users] OT: Grandstream power supplies..

Brenton D. Rothchild brothchild at dstorage.com
Tue Aug 12 05:41:56 MST 2003

Generally speaking, something like this would require a regulated power
supply,
as the internal components are most likely needing 5VDC, instead of the
phone
taking over 5V and regulating the power itself (which drops the voltage in
the
process, hence taking over 5V...).  I'm guessing that you will require at
least
a regulated supply.

You don't necessarily need a switch mode power supply.  Their benefits, as I
understand them, only come into play for large power applications where
efficiency
and power factor come into play.  The main benefits of switch mode for you
would
be, most likely, a smaller footprint and a slightly better power efficieny
(somewhere
on the order of 1 Watt).

When you talk of variable adapters that are either 4.5V or 6V, does that
mean
that they range from 0-4.5V and 0-6V (as in variable)?  If so, you could use
a 6V variable set for 5V output.

Looking at Maplin's website, your best shot might be the '15W SMPS AC/DC
Adaptors',
Order Code PJ85G - 5VDC output at 2.5A.  You're right, Maplin is expensive.

The only thing I would stress is that if your phone is malfunctioning and
drawing
more current than the previous 400mA adapter could source (hence the failure
of
the previous adaptor), this larger current adaptor would allow the phone to
draw
even _more_ current, probably releasing some of the magic smoke inside the
electronics
(which is what makes ICs work, right? :)

-Brenton