[Asterisk-Users] Fair comparison

Rainer Jochem rainer at graphics.cs.uni-sb.de
Tue Aug 12 04:13:18 MST 2003

[Vocal]
Tried it, didn't like it :)

A little more detailed:
  - First you have to compile and install Vocal,
    what can be very challenging already
  - The Book is written for an older version of Vocal,
    so there are several things (including the configuration
    tools) working quite different.
    And even using the book it is still not easy
    (also because of the changes) to do a working setup
  - One great disadvantage is, that Vocal comes with no
    native connectivity to PSTN.
    In the O'Reilly Book they just use some Cisco-Boxes - who
    wonders as Vovida belongs to Cisco and Vocal is developed
    by Cisco-workers.
  - If you manage to install it, the configuration is done
    through a Java-Gui which is slow and not very self-explanatory
    Also I never discovered where the values entered there
    are stored. I've found no plaintext config-files or the
    likes.

  - One advantage seems to be IMHO the design with different
    servers (CDR, User agent, Redirect,...) which can also be
    put on dedicated hosts and also can be redundant.
    But we never got Vocal working that far.

After Vocal we tried * and it was like
installed, configured, phoned

So I prefer asterisk, but things like redundancy as vocal
has are also interesting.

Greetings
 Rainer

--