[Asterisk-Users] Fair comparison

Kim C. Callis kcallis at c2associates.net
Tue Aug 12 03:37:43 MST 2003

I was trying to do a little searching to see if there has even been a
comparison between Asterisk and VOCAL or any of the other OSS packages?
"Practical Voice Over IP using VOCAL" published by O'Reilly and
Associates, attempts to make a strong case about how scalable VOCAL. Of
course, considering that the book is written by the makers of VOCAL, it
tends to have a one sided slant.

Maybe we should try to put together an unbiased comparison (read that as
pro/con). I was talking at a meeting about Asterisk, and someone
attempted to start flaming Asterisk, and swearing by VOCAL, while
another was babbling about the wonders of Bayonne. The only thing that
was successful in that meeting about VOIP solutions was tabling that
discussion until a future (as in way, way in the future) date.

Just a thought!

Kim C. Callis