[Asterisk-Users] Windows Messenger

WipeOut . wipeout at linuxmail.org
Sun Aug 10 23:17:53 MST 2003

As far as the Windows world goes you have some options for SIP softphones..

Free software..

MSN Messenger 4.7 (MS have changed Messenger 5.x so it no longer supports SIP, Isn't that just like Microsoft?? TRYING to be incompatible with the rest of the world.)

X-Lite ( Quite a good phone now, Had its problems in the past.. Lost of codecs supported but I still have not been able to get a SIP/iLBC connection to work but G.711a,G.711u and GSM all work fine. Configuration sucks a little cos you have to rememebr where everything is in the millions of menus..)

SJPhone ( Basic phone, Does what a phone should do.. Only supports G.711 in the free version and looks to be quite expensive to buy the G.729 codec.)

Not free software..

X-Pro ( pretty much the same as X-Lite but has more lines available and can be used to connect to multiple SIP servers and then the user can simply choose which they want to use.)

E-Stara ( Very good phone, they provide a trial version that expires so you can test it out, Used it a long time ago so can't rememebr the codec support, I don't know the costs either.)

Nortel and Cisco also do soft phones and I am sure many others..

Hope that helps..