[Asterisk-Users] Gatekeeper

Langley, Sean Sean.Langley at gdcanada.com
Sat Aug 9 16:54:07 MST 2003

Asterisk does not included a gatekeeper but you can download a one from
http://www.openh323.org <http://www.openh323.org>

As for whether or not you NEED gatekeeper, probably not.  If you have a
gatekeeper you can register your h323 endpoints (openphone) with the
gatekeeper, then have asterisk register with the gatekeeper.  Only the phone
numbers with the prefix specified in h323.conf would get routed from the
gatekeeper to asterisk, otherwise the gatekeeper would handle all of the
routing, but asterisk can do all of that.

If I were in a relatively small office (where a map of phone numbers to ip
addresses are easy to keep track of) I probably wouldn't bother with a
gatekeeper.

Regards,

Sean Langley, P.Eng
Firmware Engineer