[Asterisk-Users] Multiple E1 configuration question

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Sat Aug 9 01:19:12 MST 2003

Hi all-

This question is for those familiar with EuroISDN setup.

I have a customer in Europe where I'm going to install an asterisk based
system with 4 E1's.  The customer will configure them all in one large hunt
group.

My question is about the E1 channel configuration.  I know that usually
single E1 spans are set up with 30 channels (1-15 and 17-31) as the voice
(bearer) channels and channel 16 as the signalling (data) channel.  (I think
Channel 32 is unused in E1 setups)

But if there are multiple E1's in the same group, is it typical to have one
data channel supplying signalling for the entire group?  ...or is there
usually 1 D channel per E1?  If the latter, is the setup something like
this:

B channels 1-15, 17-31
D channel  16
B channels 33-47, 49-63
D channel  48                ...etc...??

Thanks in advance for any advice
Scott Stingel

Scott M. Stingel
Emerging Voice Technology Inc.
Palo Alto, California and London, England