[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail2 - auto fill the dialing extension?

Adams, Gavin gadams at promisant.com
Fri Aug 8 13:22:28 MST 2003

> From: Sean Figgins [mailto:sfiggins at mail.celicas.org]
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Adams, Gavin wrote:
>
> > Also, we decided to go with actual extension numbers on the phones
> > instead of usernames per extension. On the Cisco phones, is there a
way
> > to change the name/number on the top line (white text on black) to
the
> > user's name, while having the extension number next to each
presentation
> > (line1, line2, etc)?
>
> I can't answer the voicemail question, but this one I can.  The config
> file for the phone can include the following line:
>
> phone_label: "User's Name ext. 1234"

Appreciate the info. I was looking for this in the Cisco SIP admins
guide for firmware 5.1 (running 4.4, which I understand is functionally
equivalent except for the code signing bit).

> The line labels are a little bit of a problem.  The Cisco phones
actually
> try to authenticate with the text that is in there.  The cisco config
> file:

It took some time to figure this out, but I use the following for a 2
extension phone config:

Phones .cnf file:

phone_label : "Gavin Adams"

line1_displayname : "4001"
line1_name : 4001
line1_authname : 4001
line1_password : xxxx

line2_displayname : "4011"
line2_name : 4011
line2_authname : 4011
line2_password : xxxx

which properly shows my name on the top line, and 4001 and 4011 for
lines 1 & 2 (on the right hand side of the phone). The sip.conf entries
are:

; Gavin Adams
[4001]
type=friend
username=4001
secret=xxxx
context=sip
host=dynamic
canreinvite=no
nat=yes
mailbox=4001 at sip
callerid="Gavin Adams" <(404) 262-7321>
[4011]
type=friend
username=4011
secret=xxxx
context=sip
host=dynamic
canreinvite=no
nat=yes
mailbox=4001 at sip
callerid="Gavin Adams" <(404) 262-7321>

Martin @ Digium was able to help out with translating the last 4 digits
on the DID to the internal extension (in this case, 4001). In
extensions.conf, I use the following for these extensions:

; used to map 7321 to 4001 for extension to extension calls
CALLID_7321="Gavin Adams" <4001>

; use caller id value from sip.conf to map to =text value when calling
; a local extension (i.e., not starting with _9 or other value
[sip]
exten => _X.,1,SetCallerid(${CALLID_${CALLERIDNUM:6}})
; Callerid remapped to the 4 digit extension, now pass call
; to next context with the extension being called.
exten => _X.,2,Goto,sip_old|${EXTEN}|1

[sip_old]
; Gavin Adams
; first line
exten => 4001,1,Dial(SIP/4001,10)
exten => 4001,2,Voicemail2(u4001 at sip)
; if 1st line engaged, goto 2nd line and ring
; (user may wish to put 1st part on hold)
exten => 4001,102,Goto(4011,1)
; second line
exten => 4011,1,Dial(SIP/4011,10)
; if no answer, goto VM
exten => 4011,2,Voicemail2(u4001 at sip)
; if busy (both lines engaged), straight to VM
exten => 4011,102,Voicemail2(b4001 at sip)

This mimics our current config. I've disables call waiting for the
7960's, but may play around with using that if it makes sense. Would
save a line for other uses such as meeting rooms, etc. Especially
important for the 7940's we have.

Hopefully, this configuration may be of use to someone else.

Regards,

--- Gavin