[Asterisk-Users] Vonage ATA 186 Factory Default & use with Asterisk ?

Steve Haehnichen s-asterisk at trix.com
Wed Aug 6 13:08:12 MST 2003

-=> On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:39:53 -0500, John Schmerold <john at katy.com> said:

> I've canceled my Vonage service because of the requirement to prefix
> every call with a 1.

(I was more bothered by the lack of CallerID Name, but the 11-digit
dialing was indeed annoying for local calls.)

The Vonage ATA-186 units shipped from Vonage before July arrived
'unlocked' either with no password, or a firmware version old enough
to always allow #FACTRESET.  As far as I know, the ones from
Amazon.com arrived locked because no contract was yet in place.

Sometime around mid-July, Vonage pushed out v3.16 and password-locked
*all* the ATAs.

If your box has been off-line since June, you should still be able to
reset it with the process you described.  If it has recently been
connected, then it is not going to work.

You can find out by attempting the reset.  If it says "PASSWD", then
it won't let you change any config, reset the box, or upload new
firmware without the password.  If instead it asks you to confirm with
"*", then you're golden -- you can reset it and then connect to
http://<ip>/dev to reconfigure.

Vonage used to always charge the cancellation and leave you with the
box.  The option to return the box is new, and should address some of
the 'green' concerns.

If anyone has a method for 'unlocking' password-locked unsubscribed
Vonage ATA's, there are a lot of interested folks out there, myself
included.

-Steve