[Asterisk-Users] DTMF modes and external IVR systems over ISDN

Paul Cheng asterisk at klarium.com
Wed Aug 6 00:48:23 MST 2003

Stefano,

I've come across this problem as well using SIP devices and asterisk.
As far as I can tell, the IVR systems are deliberately not answering in
order to not pay the telco for call charges. Ironically, they are
sending audio before they answer the call. Depending on what device you
are using, you may or may not receive the audio on your phone.

For example, using a Cisco ATA186 via SIP and Asterisk, I can dial
pretty much any IVR system and even if they don't answer, I can hear
the audio. However, passing DTMF is another issue. The only reliable
connection type that I've found is using IAXTEL. IAXTEL successfully
passes DTMF to IVR systems (using the ATA186 via SIP) before the call
is answered. Using other VoIP systems (Cisco GW, local alternative
telco calling card, etc.) I've not been able to pass DTMF before the
call is answered.

There is a kind of chicken and egg problem here. The IVR system doesn't
"answer" the call until after the user has selected the first level
menu prompts. However, if it is only a DTMF system (no voice
recognition) and the user can't pass DTMF, then the call will  never go
answered and time out.

Using the same connection methods and different SIP devices, however,
yields different results:

1) Grandstream Budgetone 102 - According to their tech support, early
audio is not supported in the current firmware. The phone keeps ringing
and ringing.
2) Voicefinder GW - Using my office *, early audio is successfully
processed and with IAXTEL, DTMF can be passed. However, using the EXACT
SAME configuration of Asterisk (same CVS, same drivers except i4L) at a
machine hosted at a data center, no audio, just ringing and ringing. I
suspect this is a NAT issue, but the Cisco ATA works in this exact
configuration and NAT.
3) Same symptons for 2 other ATA devices. Early audio works in one
case, not in the other.

Interoperability of equipment, codecs, etc. all add up to some things
not working correctly in certain cases. I guess this is why VoIP hasn't
become mainstream--yet...