[Asterisk-Users] Re: Zaptel cards, working FXS and SIP, no audio?

Adams, Gavin gadams at promisant.com
Fri Aug 1 05:22:10 MST 2003

To answer my own questions:

> Now I'm trying to get the demo (ext 500) and voice mail to play. * sez
> it's doing something:

> *CLI>     -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/25-1'
>     -- Executing Playback("Zap/25-1", "demo-abouttotry") in new stack
>     -- Playing 'demo-abouttotry'
>   Spawn extension (default, 500, 1) exited non-zero on 'Zap/25-1'

> but no sound coming through the extension (or SIP client). My server
> doesn't have a sound card, but I assume that all the .gsm files should
> play fine from *?

I have two cards loaded, the T100P and the TDM400P. With only the
TDM400P modules loaded and channels configured, there was no audio. I
did an rmmod, then the following to load modules for both cards:

modprobe zaptel
modprobe wct1xxp
modprobe wcfxs

zaptel.conf:
------------
; define span - not hooked up yet
span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs
; all channels on the T100P unused
unused=1-24
; define the FXS ports on the TDM400P - note must use FXO as parameter
fxoks=25-26
loadzone=us
defaultzone=us

zapata.conf:
-----------
[channels]
; Only define the parameters for the ports in use
; again with the FXO on the FXS port on the TDM400P
signalling=fxo_ks
context=default
callerid="Test line 1" <(555) 555-0001>
channel=> 25
signalling=fxo_ks
context=default
callerid="Test line 2" <(555) 555-0002>
channel=> 26

Finally, noload the oss_chan module in modules.conf to reduce the
warning messages during startup.

I assume that either a) the TDM400P isn't capable of managing sound
playback and the ztdummy driver is needed, or b) having both cards in
the server confused *. Either way, it's now working.

Hopefully this message will be of use to others getting started with *.
We're all psyched to put together a 4 country PBX to significantly
reduce [international] long distance charges. Put that Internet
bandwidth to some good use!

Regards,

--- Gavin