[Asterisk-Users] Newbie just starting out with *

McAughan, Matt MMcAughan at synhrgy.com
Tue Aug 5 10:33:41 MST 2003

Chris:

Try not to be so worried about sound card, analog (FXO/FXS), digital (ISDN,
BRI, PRI) and what is available by connecting device. The channel drivers
take care of making the devices available to Asterisk. In turn Asterisk
makes all the features such as voice mail, call parking, and conference
bridges available to the channels. It is a beautiful and flexible design.
many thanks to Mark! With a few exceptions most features will be available
to all connection methods.

Yes you can upgrade the TDM400P. My thinking was to get at least two ports
on it when I purchased it originally so I could call phone-to-phone
internally without using our only external phone line. That way I could
learn to configure and use asterisk with out annoying my friends in family
trying to call in.

Zapateller does not stop telemarketers it stops the predictive dialers they
use. Ever received a call and answered hello two or three times before you
get a person? That is a predictive dialer loaded with a list of numbers
dialing all of their phone lines as quickly as possible. It will do it more
efficiently than a group of agents with a phone number list in hand.

When you answer the dialer takes a moment to diagnose the fluctuations in
the voice. The dialer makes a determination if someone even answered and if
so if you are a person or an answering machine. If you turn out to be what
it thinks is a real person it must find an available agent. That is what
causes the pregnant pause. It has to find someone since you turned out to be
a real person.

Now what Zapateller can do is answer the phone and play the SIT (special
information tone). When the dialer hears this it thinks your number is no
longer in service and hopefully removes your number from that companies
list. The other thing it can do is just play the SIT tones to any incoming
call not providing caller id.

Just take the plunge, buy the equipment, play around and come back here when
you get stuck,

Matt