[Asterisk-Users] Newbie just starting out with *

Chris Hirsch chris at base2technology.com
Tue Aug 5 10:12:50 MST 2003

So its sounds like I do have a clue then...can analog devices have their
own extension and do call parking, and paging and all that? I assume the
caller id gets passed from the POTS CO to the internal phones?

So from my understanding I can get a TDM400P with one port now and
upgrade to additional ports? Thats what comes with the dev kit right?

Tell me more about Zapateller..is that the script that I've seen a
description of that gives the fake line-disconnected tone?

McAughan, Matt wrote:

> Chris:
>
> I started using Asterisk for very much the same reason. To blast those
> telemarketers and to improve my knowledge of PBX and telco. You have
> got a good start for a newbie.
>
> Yes the Wildcard X100P will terminate the POTS CO in to your Asterisk
> Linux Box. Then you have to figure out how to get everything
> "internal" connected up to it.
>
> I have a TDM400P. It can be purchased with up to 4 ports. I purchased
> three to save money. That gives me three "internal" extensions to plug
> analog phones in to. I just use three cordless phones with the base
> stations plugged in near the Asterisk computer. We leave one phone in
> the kitchen, one in the garage, and one in the bedroom. They can call
> each other when we are too lazy to go get one another or too far to
> scream at each other. They can all also share the one "external" line.
>
> Asterisk has been wonderful using Zapateller to blast those damn
> predictive dialers. The Asterisk voice mail has been wonderful too as
> it sends the recorded message to me and my wife at work as an
> attachment to an email.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Matt

I hope some animal never bores a hole in my head and lays its eggs in my
brain, because later you might think you're having a good idea but it's
just eggs hatching.