[Asterisk-Users] Buzzword bingo: TLS and SRTP

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Apr 30 23:12:56 MST 2003

One of my clients today asked me about TLS support for encryption of
SIP payloads, and I didn't have an adequate answer as to why it
wasn't supported or even discussed.  Some archive searching finds
scant mention of this in reference to Asterisk.  Of course,
encrypting the SIP payload is only 1/2 the problem; the payload
itself is the next problem.  I understand that IAX solves these
issues, but it will be some time before IAX is a "standard" on
equipment.  Does anyone here use hardphones or softphones that
support TLS?  Is TLS stillborn?

Speaking of payload encryption, has anyone ever peeked at the Vovida
SRTP libraries?  They're free (as in, BSD-licensed) and even in C
(not C++) and found on
http://www.vovida.org/protocols/downloads/srtp/index.html

Asterisk is sometimes the chicken, sometimes the egg - maybe putting
TLS and SRTP into Asterisk will cause some more vendors to start
putting that support into their phones (though some already do!)

JT