[Asterisk-Users] Mosix?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Apr 30 13:27:37 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 12:32, Darran Wilson wrote:
> Has anyone tried Asterisk on a MOSIX cluster?  My concern is if there
> is any adiitonal laltency when when the processes are moved from on
> node to another. Anyone tried it yet?

I think Tilghman went a little light on this. First you need to ask why
do you want it on a mosix cluster. Telephony isn't exactly a application
you would expect to try and cluster. Most of the time you are needing
direct access in realtime with hardware. The cost to overcome the
hurdles of the latency introduced would be too high for it to be
feasable. Secondly, asterisk is a multi threaded application that uses
shared memory and therefore couldn't migrate from node to node anyways.
It reminds me of an evening trying to get dnetc to migrate across a 4
node mosix cluster. It would just migrate the whole proccess to the
fastest node, and stay there. This is the behaviour I would expect from
asterisk.

If you are trying to handle larger channel numbers, or more VoIP
compression... Hardware is cheap, buy fast machines. Next asterisk
supports some nice functions to distribute the switching out as Tilghman
pointed out. Any machine you deploy should be able to handle at least a
T1 of voice, make them all contact a central switch with your dialplan
worked out, then it can redirect to the proper endpoints. This allows
you to have a good bit of central configuration, but one node other than
the switch won't take down the whole phone system.