[Asterisk-Users] No ring on extensions

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Apr 29 07:02:44 MST 2003

On Monday 28 April 2003 23:58, Surfer Dude wrote:
> Thanks Don and Bill for explaining this to me.
>
> So, is the 90v constant during ring?  Or is it intermittent?
> Does the phone "see" the 90v then make a periodic sound?  In
> other words does the 90v occilate?  Is it possible to change
> the sound of the ring through * (I figured out what people
> ment by * (smile)) or is the ring sound a funtion of the
> phone?

The ring voltage is not constant.  It appears for as long as the
ring is supposed to be, then it cuts out.  In the old telephones
with a mechanical bell, the ring voltage literally rang the bell.
In the same way that the phone rings (ring, silence, ring,
silence, etc.), so goes the ring voltage (on, off, on, off, etc).

As electronic phones have no need to drive a mechanical
ringer, they may ring in whatever way they are programmed.
The circuit, however, has no provision for changing the tone
of the ring (it may, however, change the cadence of the ring).

-Tilghman