[Asterisk-Users] Rackmount PC hardware suggestions

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Apr 24 08:27:45 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 10:14, Jayson Vantuyl wrote:
> > I have 2 1U systems that came with a single PCI riser card. In fact I
> > will be deploying one of them with a T400P card in just under a month.
> Do you have a model number on that?  I could really use one.  Also, is
> that both a SuperMicro case and mobo or just the case?

Yes, Super Micro case and board, 5011E. The ones at Vanderbilt are Dual
processor machines too. They needed fast machines with 1 PCI slot so
they could put Myrinet cards in them.

> > We chose the 1u super micros after we saw a presentation at our local
> > LUG where some people from Vanderbilt university came and demonstrated a
> > cluster using them.
> I would have to say that, short of the blade systems, these things are
> probably the most dense rackmount engineering I've ever seen.  If I had
> to choose one word to describe them, I would say: "slick".

BTW, most blade units offer 1 PCI slot that possibly could be used for
extreme dense telephony. I think the ones I had looked at had gigabit
switches internally between blades so T400P to VoIP with no compression
would be little load to another machine on the same blade cabinet. Then
you could have machines just doing compression.