[Asterisk-Users] PBX Console

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Apr 24 01:42:20 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 21:40, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> Actually, AFAIK, gastman already provides a sort of text based interface
> from the List View tab.
> Also, there is nothing wrong with the graphical display, as long as you can
> use keyboard 'shortcuts' or input to effect what you want. ie, press 315 to
> mean extension 315 is currently selected, press T to transfer the extension,
> press 317 to transfer 315 to 317 and press H to hangup your own extension.
>
> Then you might press 254 and a to answer the ringing extension 254.
> etc... You can create your own keyboard mappings as desired, this could be
> easily incorporated with gastman.

With an operator, you would have calls coming in to a single location.
If it is VoIP you get a quick answer button. As has been pointed out
before this needs to be keyboard oriented to make for a fast operator.
Potentially something that can be done completely from the keypad. This
would allow a dedicated computer with just a keypad and display could
become the console unit.

> The real features I would like to see in gastman is to be able to have a
> *single* icon for each extension, at the moment, I have defined one icon
> like this:
> Ext: 602
> Name: Adam
> Channels: Zap/3
>
> But whenever I make a call or receive a call, a second icon is created, and
> a line is drawn between all three icons as if there was three parties
> present.

For what gastman is, this is the way it should be. Your icon is there to
define your destination. When you pick up the phone, you then have a
channel up. When you dial somewhere you have another channel up. Of
course there is the other side where you have 2 internal calls like when
I call my boss on the phone. This points out also why there needs to be
the extra icons in the way gastman works since arranging of the big
destination icons would become impossible to make the connections lines
non ambigous.

The proposed new console app would not care about connections between
channels, just status of channels.