[Asterisk-Users] PBX Console

Wed Apr 23 19:40:24 MST 2003

> I'll summarize instead of text-inserting:  I agree that a text based
> interface for an operator (perhaps with a fancy ANSI or VT100
> pseudo-graphics look) would be the best solution for some
> installations.  Keystrokes are much more operator-friendly than a
> mouseclick.  Access to directory functions are extremely useful, as
> would be some ability to rename call groups by the individual user
> who is accessing the transfer station.  Gastman (or any mouse-driven
> app, regardless of the underlying OS) is not what I would put in
> front of an operator that saw a lot of activity.
>
> I'm betting almost all of this can be done the way you want by using
> the same TCP based interface that gastman uses.  Check it out.  You'd
> simply be writing your own call manager application on top of the
> pre-existing API-ish interface, which was (I assume) why that
> interface was abstracted to a TCP socket with generic data about call
> states.

Actually, AFAIK, gastman already provides a sort of text based interface
from the List View tab.
Also, there is nothing wrong with the graphical display, as long as you can
use keyboard 'shortcuts' or input to effect what you want. ie, press 315 to
mean extension 315 is currently selected, press T to transfer the extension,
press 317 to transfer 315 to 317 and press H to hangup your own extension.

Then you might press 254 and a to answer the ringing extension 254.
etc... You can create your own keyboard mappings as desired, this could be
easily incorporated with gastman.

The real features I would like to see in gastman is to be able to have a
*single* icon for each extension, at the moment, I have defined one icon
like this:
Ext: 602
Name: Adam
Channels: Zap/3

But whenever I make a call or receive a call, a second icon is created, and
a line is drawn between all three icons as if there was three parties
present.

Just my thoughts to add to the gastman debate. I do quite like the ease in
using the interface though, if it was only more mature...

Regards,
Adam