[Asterisk-Users] Best IP phone?

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Mon Apr 21 02:02:05 MST 2003

Hello!

I have finally ordered some Asterisk hardware:  the TDM DevKit.  However,
I want to use VoIP phones (or possibly adapters) for remote users.  I
would like to get some suggestions on which phones to buy.  I'm hoping
that some of you with real experience might be able to help me out!

Here are the features that are important to me:

* While these phones are initially going to be connected to the Asterisk
box via a VPN, I would very much prefer that the devices be able to handle
NAT.  It would be *really* nice if the Asterisk box could be behind NAT,
too...

* At a minimum, I would like functioning soft buttons for things like
parking calls, checking voicemail, etc.  A display would be nice, too, to
indicate voice mail, etc.  Call ID is not an issue right now, but
displaying it would be nice in the future.

* An affordable price.  It doesn't have to be the cheapest, but I can't
really afford the $600/phone of a Pingtel or Cisco phone.  Let's say under
$300, though less is nice...  :)

* Well-tested, and well-supported, with good quality, both build quality
and sound quality.