[Asterisk-Users] Hidden voicemail feature - send message to pager

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning+asterisk at monsoonwind.com
Sun Apr 20 23:07:35 MST 2003

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
> Feature request:  It would be mighty cool to get the voicemails stored
> as mp3s; at least for the email attachments.

I would not recommend that.  Encoding MP3's is a very CPU intensive task.
Remember that for MP3 encoding, the sound stream is placed through
a complete acoustic model.  The model is designed to remove frequencies
that (suposedly) would not be noticed by the human ear.  Such things as
harmonics and upper and lower end frequencies.

The ".wav" format has no compression and no acoustic modeling.  Just
straight samples.  This allows it to go straight to disk.  The GSM
format stream is there to lower the need to match rates and compression
every time the message is played.  It is done once and saved it that
format.

If you realy want to use the MP3 format, I would suggest that a queueing
system be developed, with the ability to ship the modeling and compression
to another machine.

You just do not want it disturbing the realtime tasks of TDM switching.

--
END OF LINE