[Asterisk-Users] Unexpected behavior of X100P and * in no-dialtone situations

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Apr 19 16:25:46 MST 2003

I have some strange behavior happening with call flow when analog
line errors are encountered.  This may be due to the way that the
X100P detects "busy" signals, or it may be something in the software.
Could someone with more in-depth knowledge make a comment on the
items below?

My dialing logic says "dial local area code numbers out of the analog
line, and if the analog line is broken, play a fastbusy signal.  If
the analog line is simply already occupied, push the call out of
iconnect."   I use macros to play the busy signals and dial through
iconnect, but that is more or less irrelevant to the question I have.

The snippet of extensions.conf:

exten => _1503.,1,Dial(${DIALOUTANALOG}/${EXTEN:1})
exten => _1503.,2,Macro(fastbusy)
exten => _1503.,102,Macro(nufone,${EXTEN},70)

I disconnect the wire from the back of the X100P.  This should (in my
mind, at least) create an error condition.  But here is the output on
the console when I run that routine:

.
.
.
     -- Executing Dial("SIP/2205-fae6", "Zap/1/5034547151") in new stack
NOTICE[18449]: File app_dial.c, Line 476 (dial_exec): Unable to
create channel of type 'Zap'
   == Everyone is busy at this time
     -- Executing Macro("SIP/2205-fae6",
"dialiconnect|15034547151|70") in new stack
     -- Executing SetCallerID("SIP/2205-fae6", "14163727244") in new stack
     -- Executing SetCIDName("SIP/2205-fae6", "John Todd") in new stack
     -- Executing Dial("SIP/2205-fae6",
"IAX/jtodd at nufone/15034547151|100|T") in new stack
DEBUG[18449]: File app_dial.c, Line 365 (dial_exec): SIMPLE DIAL (NO URL)
.
.
.

As you can see, it does not think that the error condition is an
error condition; Asterisk merely thinks the line is busy and the call
is handed off to the +101 priority.  Should Asterisk interpret a
no-dialtone (in fact, no line) situation as "busy" and jump to the
+101 priority, or should it jump to the next priority with an error?
(In my case, it would play a fast busy or congestion tone.)  The
reason I ask is that I'd like to put some pre-recorded announcements
in where I currently have "fastbusy" being called, and if I never get
handed off there I can't distinguish between a busy signal and an
error on the line, and thus the error messages become fairly useless.

JT