[Asterisk-Users] CE certification for Europe

d hinton hint63 at charter.net
Fri Apr 4 04:06:58 MST 2003

ok, ok, enough
this all started because my company liked the hardware and wanted to buy
some but had concerns about how legal they actually was. so i requested the
fcc #'s.  because if we was going to buy 4-8 cards with the supporting
hardware we wanted to make sure we was covered. because without FCC and UL
cert, in the USA insurance companies will not cover you in a data center
inviroment if something went wrong. in fact the Bells won't connect you (if
they know)

after several failed request for digium to provide cert num we researched
the prospect of making, testing and cert our own. we didn't intend to sell
the to the public, and nowhere did we say we did. we just found that we
could produce said cards for a fraction of what diguim charges and in the
GPL spirit i released this info to the list. not to cause this much ruckus,
but rather to say that if the original work was done under GPL then
everything about it should have a GPL flavor, even it's pricing. also stop
using the M$, cisco or intel saying of "we're recovering our development
cost"  because they actually invested big $ and unless you're comp'ing the
other guys who worked then save it! like i said i worked on a project where
guy took everyones hard work changed the lic to commercial, leaving us all
high and dry. at least M$ pays it's dev team.

as i said before, it's just more cost effective for us to produce, test and
cert and then buy support. at least when buying large number of cards. which
is what we would like to do. nothing personal and no hard fellings, just
more cost effective, in hard eco times. there's too many IT guys out of
work, for me to waste the resources of my small company (job protection
:-D).

Also, digium if i was you i'd destroy all evidence that i sold these cards
before your cert date, as they could fine you up to $250 per day (about $100
Grand per year), from the first date they can prove you sold them. that
would kill most budgets.