[Asterisk-Users] will this machine handle it

Jeff McClure jmcclure at omnipotent.net
Wed Apr 2 06:11:43 MST 2003

Good points. This system currently does not use any SIP or IAX channels (or
any other form of VoIP) and only deals with 1 call at a time (the single
FXO channel is the only link to the outside). At some point, I may add an
IAX link to a friend's * box, but I really don't see this setup ever having
to deal with more than 2 concurrent calls (one over IAX, possibly with GSM,
the other using just the Zaptel channels with no compression at all).
Oh...and voicemail uses GSM, of course.

The current sound quality is pretty good, but what I do hear are tiny
little "hiccups" during GSM playback in voicemail. Again, I suspect what
I'm hearing is the effect of the load on box spiking due to other
processes. Does that sound reasonable?

Maybe that extra level of detail can help some folks form opinions about
required CPU horsepower.

--On Wednesday, April 02, 2003 6:43 AM +0000 "WipeOut ."
<wipeout at linuxmail.org> wrote:

> Hi Jeff..
>
> What you are asking is a little bit of a grey area because there are a
> number of factors that will affect how well you system will perform..
> things like the average number of concurrent calls?, are you using VoIP?,
> what codecs are you using for the SIP of IAX channels? and no doubt a few
> others..
>
> But here is my experience.. I am using a PII-400 and with 2 concurrent
> VoIP calls using G.711 codec the processor barely registers anything.. So
> I should thing that this system should handle 10-15 concurrent calls...
> If I used the GSM codec for example I an sure this number would drop
> significantly..
>
> Hope that helps..
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Right now I'm running * along with a lot of other apps on my firewall
>> box,  which is a P-II 400 with 192MB of RAM. I have a single T100P card
>> connected  to a channel bank that's using one FXO and two FXS ports.
>>
>> I want to move * off to another computer (mostly because I think the
>> other  apps on the current box are causing enough of a load to affect
>> the sound  quality a bit). I'm looking for a computer to put it on, and
>> I've found  someone with a P-II 350 with 64MB of RAM (I could steal
>> another 64MB from  the firewall if I have to).
>>
>> So, I need an opinion from some more experienced users. Given the same
>> number of ports and assuming I don't run any other apps on the box, is
>> that  P-II 350 beefy enough to handle my * setup comfortably?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

> --

Jeff McClure