[Asterisk-Users] The best simple solution (newbee)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Apr 1 14:26:01 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 15:08, sjaak nabuurs wrote:
> Thanks Steven for your reply
>
> To check if i understand this..
>

> So the best way is :
>
> Telephone line  >> pluged in one TDM10B Linux running astrisk >>>>
> (DSL2Mbit) internet  (64Kb) >>>> linux/windows with a normal eth 10/100mbps
> card pluged in >>> snom 100
> When you talk about ethernet jack you tell to use a ethernet card
> (10/100Mbps) not the line or phone jack from http://www.quicknet.net/  I
> guess.
> A snom 100 is a IP telephone I can plug directly in a network card that's
> wright ??
> A cross wired cat 5 cable would connect the snom 100 to for example a
> windows machine (they allready have).
> Is there any software shipped with the snom or do i have to use Linux to NAT
> the ip adress from the snom to the internet >> astrisk gateway or use
> IPsec's/Freeswan.
> For me it's not clear how a snom can reach (on a private network) my astrisk
> gateway(keeper) or do i think to much !!
>
> Sorry for maybe the stuppid questions.
> Thanks a lot.

I suggest you use a snom 100 IP hardware phone to try and eliminate the
need whatsoever for a remote side computer. You had mentioned that you
would need to support remotely. Nothing is easier to support than an
appliance that you set up and cycle power if it misbehaves.

So to reiterate your drawing.

handset -> tdm10b -> * -> DSL -> internet -> 64k -> snom.
PSTN -> X100P -> /

The only question here is how do you get the 64K side, and how to deal
with it. I'm guessing since it is 64K that it is ISDN. If true, do you
have something like an ascend router on it? Something that would produce
a ethernet port? If not a linux or windows machine with NAT ability
would be fine. The Snom would then connect all the way back to your PC
running asterisk.