[asterisk-ss7] asterisk using only for signaling between sip/ss7/mgcp

Michael Mueller ss7box at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 06:03:46 CDT 2012

you are correct; the long-held suspicion is that the mgcp between the pw
and mg has proprietary extensions; using wireshark to sniff the protocol
would be the first step; would need cold start, warm start, and normal
operations captures; normal ops would contain lot's of normal and abnormal
call scenarios; what's been missing for a long time is someone with the pw
that could provide captures of the protocol to the mg

however, i'd be more concerned about the legal aspects of such a project;
without effort one finds:  http://chillingeffects.org/reverse/faq.cgi

the motivation for using brand X MG is to make something big; testing
something big and deploying something big makes test case count and
complexity go up rapidly; developing big switches at lucent, nortel, cisco,
siemens, alcatel, ericsson enjoyed huge resources for testing; the linux
kernel has a huge testing base because the equipment to do it is cheap and
easily connected to the Internet; a large test base for testing large brand
X MG configurations would be difficult to assemble, organize, staff, and
maintain