[asterisk-ss7] Nature of Address chan_SS7

florian at gruendler.net florian at gruendler.net
Fri Sep 2 09:55:03 CDT 2011

Wasim and general audience,

I felt addressed in your post and I react before I get bashed and a policy
discussion starts over my statement. I give in to the point that this list
is probably the only good forum at the moment for Asterisk and SS7 related
topics and all flavors of software should be welcome. But I stick to the
point that I suggested Raul to go to “his” development sponsor with the
specific question.

In an open source development model the author of code wants it to be public
and there is no stealing of ideas. Open source is about providing the source
of software for public use, review and enhancement, but not about having the
right for anyone to get support for no money and take a free ride to realize
low cost commercial offers “just because you can”. The total cost of
ownership of open source software mainly consists of external support
efforts or at least of having knowledgeable people on the payroll. Privatize
profits with offering based on free stuff and socialize cost for support is
absolutely not on the agenda of open source software because it would mean
that people working in the industry have an empty fridge.

Rauls question was VERY specific on a chan_ss7 parameter and its internal
crunching logic. He should get paid vendor support or trust on the vendor
goodwill to dedicate time of subsidized people to the list, which Digium
COULD do here from hardware sales profits but other software-only shops are
a bit out of luck. I haven’t really seen any Digium staff giving replies
here so apparently the don’t want to go down that road to push “SS7 at
home”. Digium is probably commercially better off to dedicate their SS7
resources to paying OEM customers like Sysmaster.

Are we now all friends again?

So long, Florian