[asterisk-ss7] Testing libss7 with one PCI card in loopback

Krzysztof Drewicz krzysztofdrewicz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 04:19:00 CDT 2011

2011/4/26 Jean Louis David <therebel23 at gmail.com>

> Hi,
> because E1 cards are quite expensive, and before connecting to PSTN,  i
> would like to test good working of asterisk + libss7 by looping back 2 E1
> ports of  the same PCI Card (for example : one TE410P). I will connect two
> SIP phones for test purposes.
> Do you think it is a good test ?
> Could i define a little dialplan to test SIP to SS7 and SS7 to SIP ?

Asterisk (and the  rest of softswitches) is free, and cards from Digium (and
some competitors) are quite cheap, expensive is carrier-grade telco switch,
where the smallest card has a 16 x E1 and costs more that 10 x ( DE410P +
HWEC + good quad core 1U server).

TDMoE is your friend.
As far as i remember there is no way to have two separate asterisk on one
psychical TE410P/TE210P, you need two hosts (two PCs) one of them needs to
have a TE410p, another one could use TDMoE or another E100P card or
something.
But this setup will work in 100%.

Better is to check if someone has successfully connected to your-carrier
type switch, so if your carrier has a SS7 switch from vendor X in version of
Y and you want to pass a services like A,B,C, you should ask if someone had
trouble using A,B,C on X in version Y. If it's just simple voice calls with
ISUP version 1, then it will work.