[asterisk-ss7] SS7+AS5400+PGW2200

Kristian Kielhofner kkielhofner at star2star.com
Mon Oct 13 11:55:20 CDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Nitesh Divecha
<nitesh at vipernetworks.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I need some help as I am new to SS7 and I do understand that this is an
> Asterisk SS7 forum and not Cisco but I looking for a help...
>
> Recently, got one project where there is Cisco AS5400 with 2 x 8 E1's,
> Cisco PGW2200 Softswitch and SS7 involved. The old admin has screwed up
> PGW2200 box totally and I want to replace it with Asterisk SS7 box.
>
> Is there anyway I can replace PGW2200 with Asterisk SS7? If yes, how can
> I do it? And is it must to have Asterisk SS7 box? Can't Cisco AS5400
> handle SS7 signaling by itself?
>
> Please help... Thanking in advance...
>
> Cheers,
> Nitesh

You can't replace the Cisco MGW software with Asterisk.  Asterisk
would need to support the full protocol suite to do so (SIGTRAN/SCTP,
MGCP, etc).  Otherwise there is no way to signal to the ITPs (Cisco
2811s, probably) or MGWs (AS5400s).

The AS5400 cannot do SS7 by itself.

Unfortunately, for this solution it's either all Cisco, all Asterisk,
or nothing.

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://blog.krisk.org