[asterisk-ss7] SMS,MMS, SS7 and wrong approach to

Suhaib Mehyar suhib88 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 9 03:41:11 CST 2008

hi all,

can we differ between normal SMS and USSD SMS, does MAP protocol sends USSD message or such a normal message???

thanks in advance.

From: ab at dicea.dkTo: anton.vazir at gmail.comDate: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:35:53 +0100CC: asterisk-ss7 at lists.digium.comSubject: Re: [asterisk-ss7] SMS,MMS, SS7 and wrong approach to

Hello Anton,

You write that chan_ss7 is intentionally filled with bugs, and you mention one bug, about the one way audio problem, that you have reported to this mailling list. In a mail to this list, dated 2008-09-15, you write:

> I have to note that a while ago one edge of the problem was
> in IAX connections between systems - so IAX was giving
> oneway for a certin amount of calls - and switching to SIP
> resoved it - but now it might be just chan_ss7 related.

If both IAX and chan_ss7 gives one way audio, the problem could be somewhere else. I do not understand why you think this is a bug _intentionally_ left in chan_ss7.

You write that we have not included the patch published on this list for support of zaptel new style addressing. But there has been support for this since version 1.0.0, released november 2007. I am not aware of any problem with this, and I am not aware of any patches that solve bugs that are not already fixed in the released versions of chan_ss7. I do not understand why you think that the patch is _intentionally_ left out.

Your accusation that we intentionally leave bugs and charge people excessive amount of money to fix them, is simply not true. I receive very few real bug reports, and I do not see many bug reports on this mailing list. chan_ss7 is stable and used in production by really many users around the world.

In december 2007 I had email correspondance with you where you asks for help to setup an 8 E1 server. I send you an offer with my best estimates at that time (2-4 hours for code changes, optionally 5-8 hours if you wants us to log in to your system and install/configure/test the solution, 170 Euro/hour). This is considerably more work than changing two lines of code. I do not understand why you write that we charge you 2000 Euro for two lines of code.

You write that Dicea is breaking existing licenses. We obviously will not do anything not legal, or not comply with existing licenses. chan_ss7 comes with GPL license, and the supported version comes with the same license. The purpose of offering a supported version is to provide professional support for the users that want it, and to finance Diceas continued development of
chan_ss7. The work we do on chan_ss7 is mainly due to personal interest, but we want to have the work partly financed.

The mail you sent to this mailing list is your response to somebody
noting that Dicea has an SMS solution. We sell support and SS7 related
software products, this also helps finance the effort put into
chan_ss7. As a user, you are also benefitting from this business model.

I have maintained chan_ss7 for several years, and I have got a lot of positive feed back from users. There are a few exceptions like you.

I hope this mail clears the issues raised.

Best regards,

--
Anders Baekgaard
Managing Director, Dicea ApS