[asterisk-ss7] Large SS7 installation (96 E1s)

Wasim Baig wasim at convergence.pk
Thu Jul 17 02:26:04 CDT 2008

Pawel at halo-kwadarat, has also done an analysis for SMG on 16E1, read his
analysis and thorough testing methodology at
http://wookieboo.halokwadrat.pl/lang-en/component/content/article/17-ss7boxsmg/29-ss7-smg-performance

Although this is SMG specific, it does show workable solutions of 16E1 per
server.  I'm trying to get some time to do a
similar analysis on libss7 and chanss7 and compare them to SMG, maybe
sometime this weekend if it all falls into place.

-wasim

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Krzysztof Drewicz <
krzysztofdrewicz at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/7/16 Patrick <asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl>:
> > Antoine,
> >
> My 0.04 USD:
>
> >> There many unknowns to me:
> >> For example I don't know if I can put 16 E1s per server?
> >
> > Not sure. I would not stick that many E1s on a single box since Asterisk
> > can deadlock.
>
> I've got my first box with 4 x TE410P. It Works. But it was only for
> multiplication of interface E1 connections, from 14 PABXes to 2 lines
> from carrier side. And it was very low traffic. Now i whould not risk
> such a set-up.
> Said that, we should also be aware of redundacy in SS7 it self and
> implementation of that redundacy in asterisk. So, if it's not a space
> issue i whould put 1 card like TE410P with 4 E1 per 1 server, use some
> good platform like x306 from IBM (now it's x3250 i think), put some
> servers in rack cabinet and duplicate even ethernet links by 2 LAN
> switches...
>
> > In this case it would bring down 480 channels. Are you willing to run
> that
> > risk?
>
> That's the point,  how many of channels you (your client) wishes to
> risk at one time? Maybe there will be upgrade issue, where putting
> down 120 channels will be fine, replacing server, and bringing up ?
>
> Maybe there's an option of some better aproach? Like redfone and TDMoE
> ? Anyone used it with SS7? if you could put 1/2/4 connections to one
> redfone-like box, then use it by only a few servers (not one server
> per 30/60/120 channels).
>
> > I would offload the prepaid application to another set of boxes for
> > scalability and redundancy.
>
> Yes, i whould even consider splitting voice processing from SQL, so
> putting database on diffrent server, or even using some redundant
> database with loadsharing.
>
> With setup starting at 480 channels it's good to plan how system will
> grow, and if at some point there whould not be problem like "only
> 100Mbit ethernet" when 1 Gb is needed...
>
> --
> Krzysztof Drewicz
> +48 504 17 55 77

wasim h. baig | principal consultant | convergence pk | +92 300 8508070